Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Recipes

While being on Twitter (when I should have been working), I saw that the lovely Leonora from Yellow Heart Art asked for some apple recipes.  YUM.  I love apples and I've been meaning to post more recipes lately anyway.  So here are 3 recipes that are fairly easy and great for using up apples you may have! 

Apple Pie
*I don't remember where I actually got the recipe for these. 

DOUBLE PIE CRUST
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c shortening, chilled
1/2 cold butter, cut into slices
6-8 tbsp ice water

***When making pie crust, it's helpful to have all of your ingredients and bowls chilled***
In a large bowl, mix the flour & salt together.
Cut in the chilled shortening & butter using 2 knives (I never actually do this, I always just use a spoon). 
Work only until course crumbs (resembling peas) form.
Sprinkle with 4 tbsp ice water & gently mix together.
If dough seems dry, add more water 1 tbsp at a time. (Only add enough water to make it hold together between pinched fingers).

Divide dough in half and roll out first half and place in pie pan.  (Place second half in freezer until ready to use)

Apple Pie Filling
5-7 peeled apples
1 c sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice

Peel and slice apples.  Soak in water with lemon juice to prevent turning colors.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and vinegar.
Drain water from apples and mix with coating.
Poke holes in bottom pie crust to release air. 
Pour apples into pie crust and dot with butter.
Roll out second pie crust and place on top.  Pinch edges together (mine never looks pretty, however they're always eaten =D ).
Place tin foil around the edges.
Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes.  Remove foil 10 min before pie is done.

Enjoy!

Apple tree in Aaron's dad's yard! :) 

Apple Bars 
From the kitchen of my friend Sally 
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt (she probably doesn't add this, but I do) 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c oil
1 tsp baking powder
3 c flour
2 apples, peeled & chopped (I use 3) 
(Can add optional nuts, raisins, crushed pineapple)

Mix all ingredients well.
Spread in a 9 x 13 pan. 
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. 
Let cool.  Can cover with thin frosting or eat as is.

So simple, right???

Perhaps there will be more recipes later this week. 


StumbleUpon

2 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhh! I love apple things!

    Last week I made crockpot apple butter. Changed my life I tell ya!

    Posting the recipe this week!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd would love to know you stopped by. Leave us a message and I'll get back to you!

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog